Friday, November 8, 2013

Austria Again

I recently returned from two weeks running a Produce the Limit workshop near Vienna.  This was the 5th PtL I have run from this office, so the team was very well prepared.  In a field with 90 wells, we managed to find 29 opportunities (recompletions, acidizing gravel packs and some beam pump improvements).  These opportunities are expected to add 20% to the field production, over the next 6 months or so.  With an NPV of over EUR14million, I think we earned our pay for this period.  
k+K hotel, Vienna

Since my regular hotel was fully-booked, I spent the weekend at the K+K hotel in Vienna, on the advice of Tripadvisor.  Very nice hotel and nice staff.  There were several nice restaurants in the area, including Das Heinz, which is just next to the hotel. They were serving Murauer "Nock-Land" dark beer on tap, and it was one of the best I have had--delicious.  I got that and a nice, well-aged steak.  Fantastic!

I flew Austrian Airlines, which I have done before.  I swore never to fly them again because of the horrible, painful, terrible seats in business class.  These things are so hard that most of the passengers choose to sit on their blankets.  I only considered flying them again because their website said they had new seats.  They did have nice new seats that were very comfortable.  The cushion is filled with air, so sitting on it is a bit like sitting on one of those exercise balls, but not in a bad way.  I wonder how long they will last before popping.

The rest of the experience on Austrian is OK, although they do have a 'chef' that helps serve (and, I assume, prepare) meals.  Complete with the chef's hat!  They also have a sky blue interior in the plane and play classical music also.   

This was the 3rd and 4th flight since I got my Global Services membership level on United.  I can't see any difference, except I get to board before the rest of boarding group 1.  I could not even get into the first class lounge in DC on the way back, because I was not flying internationally on United.  Apparently flying on their partner, Austrian was not good enough.  

Yes, these are what qualifies as 'problems' in my life.  I know I'm super-lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment