Friday, September 6, 2013

Global Services

This is probably of no interest to anyone else, but I think it is kind of neat...

When I worked for Shell in NL, I supported staff on a global basis, so I was travelling quite a lot.  I quickly managed to get Royal Wing status on KLM, and then later when they merged with NorthWest, it became Platinum level. [Almost got a million miles, when I could have gotten permanent Platinum levels status.]

Now that I'm in the US, United Airlines has become my airline of choice and, travelling as much as I did with Shell (almost), I fairly quickly became Platinum 1K, their highest level.   Except, I just got this:


Apparently United Airlines has a semi-secret club called 'Global Services' for their 'top Premier members', whatever that means.  They don't publish what it takes to get in.  Although I have lots of miles, it is hard to believe that I'm that 'elite', but whatever.  Now, at least in the mind of a large corporate entity, I'm one of the cool kids.  For the time being I'm going to feel just a bit more 'elite' whenever I'm in line with 300 people to be treated as a potential terrorist at the airport.  :)

[Oh no, I hope the rules for Global Services are not like the first two rules of  'Fight Club'.]

2 comments:

  1. You do NOT talk about Global Services :) any thoughts on Delta Airlines if you have had a chance to compare the 2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had very little experience on Delta lately, but I think I had one flight a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good.

    FYI Global Services has so far not been any different from Platinum 1K, the official highest level, that you can talk about :) OK, I can board in the first group with 'those that need help and in military uniforms'. Since there are rarely either of those, I'm usually first. But, except for that minor thing, no difference in service. Yet.

    ReplyDelete